Parallax website design is an interactive and engaging form of website design that adds movement and depth to a website. It creates a 3D effect as the user scrolls down the page, with multiple layers of images and text that move at different speeds. This creates a truly immersive experience for the user, and can be used to create an impactful and memorable website. With this guide, you’ll learn about the basics of parallax website design, why it’s important, and how you can use it to create a unique and engaging website. We’ll also cover some tips for making the most out of this popular web design trend. By the end of this guide, you’ll have a better understanding of how to use parallax website design to create an impactful, user-friendly website.
What is parallax website design?The term “parallax” refers to a visual illusion created by the difference in the position of objects from different viewpoints. In website design, the term is used to describe a design technique that adds movement and depth to a website by layering multiple images on top of one another. This creates a 3D effect as the user scrolls down the page, with each image moving at a different speed. Parallax website also includes scrolling effects, where elements on the page move up or down as the user scrolls, creating an even more immersive user experience. Parallax website design is a popular web design trend that can be used to create a unique and engaging website. Parallax website design is often confused with an optical illusion or other types of 3D effects, but it’s actually a design technique that doesn’t require any special technology to create. A parallax website is created with CSS and HTML, the same code that’s used to create most websites. The only difference is that the images used have a slightly different position and z-index, the same techniques you would use to create a simple parallax effect in Photoshop.
Benefits of parallax website design
- Aesthetics – One of the biggest benefits of a well-designed parallax website is the aesthetic it creates for your brand. With multiple images layered on top of each other and scrolling at different speeds, you can create a truly immersive experience for users, which is great for creating an impactful and memorable website.
- User Experience – Parallax website is also great for user experience. Since the images are moving and users are scrolling through different layers of content, they aren’t able to see the entire page at once. This is helpful for creating a website that’s easy to navigate and easy to digest.
- Intrigue – Parallax designs are also great for creating intrigue for your website. If a user has a bad experience with a website, they are likely to leave and never come back. A parallax design is helpful for keeping users engaged with your website, and is often a better option than other high-impact designs like pop-ups or advertisements.
- Versatility – Parallax designs are also very versatile, and can be used in almost any industry or type of website. This means that you can create a unique and engaging website that stands out from the competition.
Parallax website design examplesNow that you understand what parallax website design is, let’s take a look at some examples of websites that use this trend in their design.
- Android – This is the official website for Android, Google’s operating system. The homepage features a parallax design, with multiple images and text layered on top of each other.
- Apple – The homepage for Apple features a parallax design with a clean and modern style that uses white text on a dark background.
- BOS – This is the official website for BOS, a security company that offers a wide range of services, including fire protection and surveillance. The website uses a parallax design to create an interesting and engaging website that also promotes the company’s services.
- Disney – This is the official website for Disney, one of the largest entertainment companies in the world. The website uses a parallax design with bright colors and images that create an engaging and immersive website experience.
- Nike – This is the official website for Nike, the popular athletic brand. The website uses a parallax design to create an immersive experience for users, and to promote the various products and services offered by the brand.
- Netflix – This is the official website for Netflix, one of the most popular video streaming services in the world. The website uses a parallax design that features a dark background with white text, and images of the company’s products.
Steps for creating the perfect parallax websiteNow that you know what parallax website design is and the benefits it can bring to your website, let’s take a look at some steps you can follow to create the perfect parallax website design.
- Define Your Brand – Before you design your website, it’s important to define your brand. Take the time to write a mission statement for your brand, and create a set of core values that will guide the design of your website.
- Choose The Right Platform – There are a variety of website building platforms available, including Wix and Squarespace, which are great for building a parallax website.
- Create The Structure – Once you have chosen the right platform, it’s time to create the structure of your website. Think about how you want users to navigate through your website, and how many different pages you want to feature.
- Choose The Right Design – Once you have created the structure of your website, it’s time to choose the right design. A parallax design will help you create a unique and engaging website, but it’s important to make sure it fits with the rest of your brand.
- Choose The Right Images And Copy – The next step in designing your parallax website is to choose the right images and copy. You will likely have multiple images layered on top of each other, so it’s important to make sure that they are consistent with your brand’s message.
Tips for making the most of parallax website designNow that you have a better understanding of what parallax website design is and how to create the perfect parallax website, let’s take a look at some tips for making the most out of this popular web design trend.
- Keep It Clean – One of the most important things to remember when designing a parallax website is to keep it clean. You want to avoid designing your website in a way that is distracting and messy, which would take away from the message you are trying to get across.
- Use Impactful Images – Since you’ll have multiple images layered on top of each other, it’s important to make sure they are all consistent with your brand’s message. Whether they are faces of people or products, they should all have the same style and be visually appealing.
- Use High-Quality Images – Another important thing to remember when designing your website is to use high-quality images. Using low-quality images will take away from the overall design of your website, and will make it seem unprofessional.
Common mistakes to avoid when using parallax website designNow that you know what parallax website design is and how to create the perfect website using this popular web design trend, let’s take a look at some common mistakes to avoid when designing a parallax website.
- Using Too Many Effects – One important thing to remember is that you don’t have to use a ton of different parallax effects on your website. It’s better to use a few well-placed effects than to overuse them and create an overwhelming design.
- Not Keeping It Clean – It’s important to keep in mind that although using parallax website design is great for creating an engaging website, it can also be overwhelming. Use clean and simple designs to make sure that your website is easy to navigate and easy to digest.
- Not Having A Clear Call To Action – Another important thing to remember is that although parallax designs are helpful for creating an immersive experience, they aren’t useful for prompting visitors to take action. Make sure to include a clear call to action on each page of your website, and don’t rely solely on the design to prompt visitors to take action.